If I leave my inheritance to my son or daughter and they get divorced, will my son-in-law or daughter-in-law get the money? In most cases, the answer is yes, but you can plan ahead so this won't happen. When you leave assets to your children and tell them not to put it into a joint account with their spouse, you are putting them into an awkward position. They will likely feel uncomfortable with this and put it into a joint account. It then becomes a marital asset, and if they get divorced, your inheritance could go to another family. You can prevent this by carefully planning your estate with an experienced wills and trusts lawyer like Dave Frees. One of the tools Dave Frees can help you take advantage of is the beneficiary controlled trust, which is designed specifically for this purpose. For more information, call the Law Office of Unruh, Turner, Burke and Frees at 610-933-8069 or email Dave directly at [email protected].

David M. Frees, III
Connect with me
Attorney, Speaker and Author